Skip to Main Content

NIH Public Access Compliance: Tools & Track Submissions

NCBI Tools




Many NIH systems & tools work together to help you comply with the NIH Mandate. 

Logon to My NCBI or go here for help.

Import citations from PubMed or manually input them into My Bibliography 

Link your eRA Commons (see FAQs) & My NCBI accounts so you can: 

NIH Manuscript Submission (NIHMS) - log-in to upload final peer-reviewed manuscript for Methods C submissions.

How tos:

My Bibliography

Learn how My Bibliography can help you manage your grant's publications and comply with the NIH Mandate. Here's a video that will give you a quick overview.

Check Compliance

Login to NCBI via PubMed, under your name at top right, choose Publications to see "My Bibliography." To check compliance in your bibliography, next to Sort by, choose Public Access Compliance

Green - in compliance

Red - out of compliance

Blue - in process

If the article has a red or blue status, check the following.

Is the publication date of the article more or less than 3 months ago?
--> If it is more than three months ago, your article is currently out of compliance and it could not be included in a progress report.
--> If it is less than three months ago, you're okay for now, but you should probably follow the steps below to get the article in compliance before the three month grace period ends.

Is the article even relevant for the grant?

Sometimes grants get associated with publications under mysterious circumstances. If the article is not relevant to a grant it's associated with in My Bibliography, you may be able to disassociate it. Look at the grant number(s) listed below the article. If the grant does NOT have a gold or silver lock next to it, you can remove the association in My Bibliography. 

Does the article need to be submitted to PMC?

If the article 

  • Was not peer-reviewed
  • Was accepted for publication before April 7, 2008
  • Is printed in a script other than Latin (Korean, Russian)
  • Was not directly supported by NIH funds active in FY08 or after

Then you don't need to submit it to PMC. You can modify the status by clicking "Edit Status" (see instructions here).

Carpenter Library | Atrium Health/Wake Forest University School of Medicine | Contact Us